Solaris is a Unix operating system originally developed by Sun Microsystems. It is known as Oracle Solaries, as it is has been now owned by Oracle Corporation. Oracle Solaris deliver world record performance for Oracle and other enterprise applications.
Solaris is known for its scalability, especially on SPARC systems, and for originating many innovative features such as DTrace, Solaris 10 ZFS Administration and Time Slider. Solaris supports SPARC-based and x86-based workstations and servers from Oracle and other vendors, with efforts underway to port to additional platforms. Solaris is registered as compliant with the Single Unix Specification. Solaris can be installed from various pre-packaged software groups, ranging from a minimalistic “Reduced Network Support” to a complete “Entire Plus OEM”. Installation of Solaris is not necessary for an individual to use the system. Additional software, like Apache, MySQL, etc. can be installed as well in a packaged form from sunfreeware, OpenCSW and Blastwav. Solaris can be installed from physical media or a network for use on a desktop or server, or be without installing on a desktop or server.
Solaris 11 is the latest version available today in the market. Oracle Solaris 11 delivers advanced Oracle Solaris features that have been in development for more than five years in an easy-to-use, production-ready package, allowing you to immediately use the latest Oracle Solaris features to deploy new applications. Oracle Solaris 11 adds network virtualization and resource management to the complete, built-in virtualization capabilities of Oracle Solaris, providing the highest performance virtualization environment with the lowest overhead. The features of the Solaris 11 are:
- Co-engineered with the Oracle stack to deliver the best platform for Oracle applications
- Optimized to run your applications faster
- Designed-in virtualization with zero-overhead zones, secure live migration
- Data at cloud scale with built-in data services, up to 10x storage savings
- Engineered cloud security with wire-speed encryption and delegated admin
- Simplified cloud deployments, dramatically faster life cycle management
Solaris 11 brings the reliability, security and scalability of the #1 UNIX OS to the enterprise cloud; unleashes the power of the today’s modern systems—including the SPARC T5 series, featuring the world’s fastest microprocessors. The key technologies of Oracle Solaris 11 are:
- Oracle Database Runs Best on Oracle Solaris 11
- Simplified Installation
- Service Management Facility
- Oracle Solaris Availability
- x86 Optimization for Oracle Solaris
- ZFS Technology
- Oracle Solaris 11 and SPARC
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center
- Developing Enterprise Applications
- Image Packaging System (IPS)
- Oracle Solaris SDN and Network Virtualization.
Oracle Solaris helps you gain high-end knowledge in System Administration. There are certifications provided pertaining to Oracle Solaris in the market.