Software Testing is an integral phase of “Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)”; it helps in ensuring the quality of the software that is developed. Today, in this article we shall discuss about some automation software testing tools. Before going through the automation tools we shall understand what Automation Software Testing is? In software testing, test automation is the use of special software (separate from the software being tested) to control the execution of tests and the comparison of actual outcomes with predicted outcomes. Test automation can automate some repetitive but necessary tasks in a formalized testing process already in place, or add additional testing that would be difficult to perform manually.
Testing tools help software testers in the process of software testing. Program testing and fault detection can be aided significantly by testing tools and debuggers. Testing/debug tools include features such as:
- Program monitors, permitting full or partial monitoring of program code including:
- Instruction set simulator, permitting complete instruction level monitoring and trace facilities
- Program animation, permitting step-by-step execution and conditional breakpoint at source level or in machine code
- Code coverage reports
- Formatted dump or symbolic debugging, tools allowing inspection of program variables on error or at chosen points
- Automated functional GUI testing tools are used to repeat system-level tests through the GUI
- Benchmarks, allowing run-time performance comparisons to be made
- Performance analysis (or profiling tools) that can help to highlight hot spots and resource usage
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
Also, we look at some software testing tools that are available in the market:
- HP unified functional testing software: HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT) software is an automated software testing solution addressing the challenges of constant change in technology and processes. And with its integration with HP Application Lifecycle Management, it significantly enhances developer and tester productivity and collaboration.
- Selenium: Primarily it is for automating web applications for testing purposes.
- TestComplete: is an automated testing tool that lets you create, manage and run tests for any windows, web or rich client software. It makes it easy for anyone to create automated tests.
- Watir: is an open-source (BSD) family of Ruby libraries for automating web browsers. It allows you to write tests that are easy to read and maintain. It is simple and flexible.